These are challenging times and I feel we all need a bit of self care to survive and maybe even live more.
Sounds very dramatic I know but in so many ways [coronavirus, self-isolation, pregnancy and my beloved micro business ...] I feel more and more stressed out. It's time to put the breaks on before it's too late. Self care is about maintaining and promoting wellbeing and overall health, but within that self care is restorative. It is deliberate. It is time for yourself to breathe.
Of course it is about eating well, being kind to yourself, exercising and staying hydrated and other health promoting activities but it is also about those activities which are important to you as an individual. This could be sports, craft projects, a spa day or simply finally reading that book.
In many ways you will need to reflect what's important to you and to find out how important self care is to you?
Whatever the answer maybe always take into account that we can only give to others if we take care of ourselves and even though some people might try to tell us this is selfish - it is not.
You could start with the following three
1. declutter your surroundings to have what gives you joy
2. be organised - be it with your wardrobe or your daily life, it could help to stay calm and speed up daily tasks so there is more time for you
3. cleanse your surrounding with incense like Palo Santo wood or you favourite potpourri
I find the following especially helpful to slow down
4. Reevaluating my relationship with my phone or tablet
[To me it's more the tablet but putting it down, not checking social media, news alerts or emails [even though sometimes a struggle] helps me to slow down almost right there and then.
5. Try slow mornings by starting earlier and adding extra time to sit down with loved ones, read or get organised
6. Take more breaks or choose a purposeful break from everything by going on a walk or doing yoga
A quick self care moment to recharge and empower yourself can be
7. enjoying a special cup of tea
8. giving yourself a quick hand massage
9. sitting or standing upright for a moment and breathing in and out while following the flow of air through your body
10. listen to your favourite song
11. dance to a happy song
12. text a friend or family member to make plans or just say hi
13. put on some feel good clothing
14. eat something nice
15. practice being in the moment
16. watch the clouds to clear your mind
If you have 10+ minutes these things could help you find back to yourself
17. listen to your favourite podcast
18. read an enriching book
19. write down 5 things you are grateful for
20. watch a feel good movie
21. cook or bake something for yourself
22. create a vision board
24. do something creative
25. take a nap
26. get out into nature
27. do something new
29. take a bubble bath or similar
30. spend quality time with friends/family
Additionally for some people it is helpful to
31. find inspiration quotes for the week
32. writing a journal or doodling
33. laughing groups / club - some combine this with yoga
Well, I have to admit that I don't manage all of them but some are here because I do practise these for months regularly, others are based on research. Most beneficial to me are putting the phone
aside, making lists and to declutter, enjoying a tea quietly and taking the time to breathe while listing to my body. Of course everyone has to find their own balance and the tips above are just
inspirational. Leave a comment of one of your favourite self care routines for me to add!
All the best to you all,
* not all images in this post are mine but they are linked to their source
You might also like ...